02 November 2008

Mallory's Senior Quilt

Well, I barely got it done in time, but she had it for her first long bus ride for band. This is the full effect. If you look carefully you can see the band instruments in each of the pin-wheels. Drums, contras, french horn (her instrument of choice), clarinet, sax, etc. Sometimes the instrument is in the center, on the point, or easily seen in the middle. It was SO much fun, I have a great friend who helps me 'see' the bigger picture. My mom was great at that but I didn't get that talent from her. I wanted to get close ups of the quilting my friend did on her long arm machine. It is a special, huge, quilting machine that can do intricate patterns and designs quickly and efficiently. You can see the horn here and parts of a trumpet in the center. The pin-wheel on the right, there is xylophone, and the very center is a piece of clarinet! On the edge is part of a trumpet.
Here is a great shot of the french horn. If you look carefully you can see a tiny eighth note that came out in the center of the pin-wheel. You carefully line up 8 peices of fabric (it needs have a repeating pattern), as you cut triangles you get 8 exact pieces, then you sew them into a pin-wheel. It's called a Stack n Wack pattern. I may do another quilt with the same technique. (christmas-theme for the living room?)
The quilting here has a saxophone in the stitching. The top is cool...you can see the tuba/contra/baritone (my kids would laugh at me, because I can't keep them straight. I'm going for the contra). And then, in the middle is a trombone, just the slide part. As I said, SO fun and cool!
Next in line for a quilt is me or Becca. I have patterns already picked out, now just waiting for the time/money. Soon. Hope you liked it! Jenn =)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Brianna said...

I love it!!!! That's so cool!!!!!!

Smelly Moose said...

BEAUTIFUL!! That must have taken a lot of work!!