13 November 2008

SMTA & Mo'

I had a great day at my SMTA mtg (Spokane Music Teachers Association). After teaching on my own for 7 years, I joined this year. I am hoping to get more training, network and learn cool stuff - like today! The program part of the meeting was about a book called "What Every Pianist Needs To Know About The Body" by Thomas Mark. It is a discussion about using each part of the body most effectively for safe and efficient piano playing. It was great and totally an "a-ha" moment for somethings I have wondered about, hadn't even thought about and nothing I could say, "oh, I knew that" hehe. Nothing like having my own version of continuing education! Now, I want to get the book and read all the other tidbits and goodies inside. (wow, looking at my terminology, you would think I like to cook....hum)
Other fyi's in the family......
Not much going on but the day to day this week. We have had Logan this week and he lost the house key. Poor kid was really stressed about it, Becca was a good support, but because of the problem he missed Taekwondo tonight. Melany comes home tomorrow night. Mike had a snafu with the demo system, but good thing he's in ATLANTA only 3 hours from the home office (Birmingham) and they drove him another one. But, hence, he has to stay another day and will be home on Friday instead of Thurs. The kids and I were very disappointed. Jacob is doing well, has his papers in to the Bishop, but he wants Jacob to earn a few more bucks before he goes. He had given 2 weeks notice at Papa John's but in the meantime 2 kids 'quit' by not showing up. So, Jacob has gotten more hours filling in the holes, plus getting a nice ethical reputation. Great lesson learned, we advised him to give 2 weeks instead of walking out, and now it has paid off. I think he is going to stay on and still look for something more to fill in his time. Mallory is starting Winter Drumline - don't know what she is playing, probably end up where ever they need her. Richy is working on his grades - he's smart and I wait daily for the I'm-bored-text. Becca is getting sparked again with her piano and had over 5 hours practice time. Her time is beginning to match her talent. That's all for today. It's late, but I can't sleep. Tomorrow is late start and I'm going to make bread. Don't laugh. =)

1 comment:

Dad said...

You guys are a musical family, to say the least. Now you need to get Mike to sing, dance or play something! I can see it now, Mike coming through the door and doing the "soft shoe" as he enters the kitchen! Ta Da! With stretched arms and briefcase in hand.