07 January 2009

Music Monday....

This is my dad. He is pretty cool in his old age. Yes, dad, you are getting old. He likes music. Growing up we would listen to the radio. I learned to appreciate Big Band, jazz (although that still is a little hard), and Barbershop Singing. I still prefer men's voices to women's.
When he visits, he likes to sit with Becca and play the piano. They do Chopsticks, Heart n' Soul, and any version in between they come up with. When you play music with others, there is a give and take. Where you are able to listen, with your heart n' soul. The last time for me was when I accompanied Lara and Shannon Stott after Chritmas. They were singing an arrangement of Silent Night. It was originally a solo, but Lara wrote an alto part that added so much more. They have amazing voices, and as siblings blend! There was music, emotion, and words. It was beautiful!
This is Dad and Becca making music. Sharing in the give and take. I love to see them sit together and laugh, experiment, and have fun. Becca has picked up some jazz, composition and improvization from music camp. (see earlier post from the summer)
Mallory joined in and it was interesting to hear her do counter-melodies, harmonies, and play off Dad's rhythms. It was fun.
Memories made and now documented.
So, on another note. I am learning that I really need to plan time, and thoughts for this. I have about 3 ready for my music, and none for SB. I may have to put that off. I am eating healthier since the new year, if you don't count the Jack-in-the-Box for breakfast or the giant frosted chocolate chip cookie we made for FHE. Doesn't help that every time I look at lettuce, my stomach turns. What is up with that! It has never happened before, so I am not actually going to worry about it today. (Got the Tera-syndrome going on!)
And the last note of the day. Most that read know about the new Stake changes. It is really amazing to know that there has been so much growth in our Stake that there was a need to create a new Ward. As they carve that Ward into the map, all boundaries of the 6 remaining Wards were adjusted. We ended up in the Belle Terre Ward, the Ward of my in-laws, the Ward of Mike's youth, and the Ward with the Temple. Every Ward lost half of their membership or more and gained half back from Wards on either side. HUGE changes for each and every Ward and family. I love our Stake Presidency, I know that these changes were not decided lightly or without the Lord's help. Change is hard, but with it comes growth. Love, Jenn =)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Dad said...

I appreciate being included here, thanks, Jenn. What readers should know is that Jennifer taught herself to play the piano before she had any formal lessons. Talk about talent!

Lene said...

Jenn,

I love this post. The pictures of you girls playing the piano with your Dad are priceless.


So if I still lived in Spokane and lived in the house I grew up in we would be in the same ward now?

Jenn said...

Yes, we would. I actually drive by your old house often, thinking "that is where Mike's HS friends lived" and I remember your mom giving me a white chocolate chip cookie recipe. I need to find that.