13 August 2009

Italian Seasoning

Yesterday, I made homemade Mayo and used it in my homemade pasta salad and homemade ranch dressing. I made homemade Honey BBQ sauce, and chocolate chip cookies. Needless to say it was a busy day in the kitchen and I didn't take any pictures! It was a crazy day and I ended up with an entire load of dishes just from my messing around. Part of all the homemade stuff is out of necessity, but at least I enjoy it!
Today, as I'm making dinner, at least I thought to take pictures of the "already-done" homemade Italian Seasoning. This came about from a last minute need (ie, running out in the middle of another recipe), and being pretty sure I had the right combination on-hand, but not knowing what it all entailed. So, here is what I found:
Italian Seasoning
3 Tbs. dried basil
3 Tbs. dried oregano
3 Tbs. dried parsley
1 Tbs. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
Mix together in a spice grinder or put into a small bowl and crush with the back of a spoon. (http://www.recipezaar.com Recipe # 82770)
I love the look of all the spices! It smells so yummy! Like walking into an herb garden (no, I don't have one, but in my next house I will)!

Tips:

1. As you can see from the picture, I use a Mortar and Pestle. This recipe is actually too big, so I kind of do a few ingredients at a time and then blend together with a spoon.

2. Makes about 7 Tbs.

3. Great for Italian foods, pizza, etc. Also great for Oven Fried Zucchini. Slice your zucchini, dip into beaten egg, then bread crumbs mixed with Italian Seasoning, bake on a sprayed cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 25 - 27 minutes.

As a side note, I served the zucchini with my ranch dressing. Becca had to get in on the fun and take a picture of her cereal bowl. How creative and silly! Those of you who know her, will appreciate it the most. This is Classic Becca. Enjoy! Love, Jenn =)

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Jenn, I love when you post cooking stuff!! I love fried zucchini and now I MUST make this tonight!!