09 October 2009

Jenn's Tomato Bisque

Tonight was out dinner group. This is what I made and posted on out dinner group blog. I (and my family) really liked this, and I even have non-tomato eaters in my family.


"Yes, I called it my tomato bisque because I totally made this up after browsing my recipe books and "wingin' it".



5 lbs. Tomatos
Olive oil
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
8 cups vegetable broth or bullion
3 cups Half & Half

Toppings: shredded chicken, saute'd mushrooms, cut avacados, cheese

1. Cut tomatos in quarters, and place open side down on a greased cookie sheet. Combine spices, sprinkle on top of tomatos. Drizzle with oilve oil. Bake in a 450 oven for 25-30 minutes.

2. When the edges start to brown and juices are being released, remove from oven. Let then cool slightly and remove skins.

3. In a large pot, combine vegetable broth with tomatos. Blend tomatos with hand blender or in batches in a blender or food processor. Slowly add half & half and blend together.

That is the bisque recipe. Then I treated it like a tortilla soup. Shredded chicken, saute'd mushroons, cut avacados, parmesan cheese. Place toppings in bottom of bowl, ladle soup on top. This does make a full pot, so if you have a small family, you might want to half it. I did discover, as my family ate the leftovers that it thickened up too, so yummy! Hope you all enjoyed it! Love, Jenn =)

No comments: