25 January 2009

Yum! Bread.......

Found another use for my new rolling pin. ^.^ I made bread tonight and thought I would share it with everyone. It is a simple french bread recipe that I have stumbled across and have made a few changes.
Ingredients:
2 TB yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups hot water
3 TB splenda
1 TB salt
5 TB Shortening, melted, or vegetable oil
6 cups flour, unsifted and divided
3 egg whites, beaten
1/2 cup sesame seeds
In a small cup dissolve yeast in the warm water. In a large bowl, combine hot water, sugar, salt, shortening and 3 cups of the flour. Beat well with wooden spoon, or in a large mixer using a dough attachment. Stir in dissolved yeast. Add remaining 3 cups of flour, mixing well until blended.
Leave spoon/dough hook in batter, allowing dough to rest for 10 minutes. Stir again vigorously, allowing dough to rest another 10 minutes. Repeat until dough has been stirred 5 times.
On floured board (counter), turn out dough and knead once or twice until it is lightly covered with flour. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into rectangles, about 9x12 inches.
Starting at the long edge, roll loosely, like a jelly roll, sealing the edge. Place roll, seam side down on a large baking sheet, arranging so both loaves will fit on one sheet. Gash the top of each loaf diagonally with sharp knife, 3-4 times, then brush with beaten egg while and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Allow loaves to rise 30 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes, or until golden brown. I let them cool about 20 minutes before slicing.
You can see the butter melting on top...yum! You can also see dh trying to sneak his hand in for a taste!
Strategy Tips:
1. I love using my Kitchen Aid with the dough attatchment. I can knead, but haven't done it enough, so it scares me. Silly, but true!
2. These loaves I used 3 cups whole wheat and 3 cups white flour.
3. I place a sticky note on the cupboard and use tally marks to count the mixing and resting cycles. I can get side-tracked easily!
4. Once again, I can not believe how easy it was to roll out the dough with my marble pin! I am starting to think, "How in the world did I ever live without this!"
5. I forgot to put the gashes in the top of my loaves. Running out the door to the airport!
6. The bread rose almost an hour because of the round-trip to the airport. Still turned out great. Just in case you get side-tracked in the rising step - it can go longer!
7. Enjoy! Love, Jenn =)

4 comments:

Lene said...

That looks yummy. And not an intimidating recipe...like some are.

Can you use regular sugar instead of splenda?

Jenn said...

Yes! Splenda is made from sugar but does not have the 'sugar' effects. I am diabetic and can use the splenda as an equal replacement. So, if you see I have used it in a recipe, just replace with the same amount of sugar. =)

Lee and Sharon said...

Jenn:
Thanks for the update on Jacob. We will look forward to more news about him. Have to tell you I love Prepared Pantry. I've ordered mixes and stuff for awhile. They are great.
sorry for intruding on your blog.
My daughter has a recipe blog you might be interested in. Here is her blog address:
http://www.dinnersonme.blgspot.com

Sharon Johnson

Jenn said...

Sharon, thanks so much for commenting. I'm jsut staring out and haven't decided what direction to take with this, but it is fun!

Your daughters site is awesome! It will take me a while to browse through everthing, but I've bookmarked it!